Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pumpkin Black Bottom Cupcakes

Instead of venturing out tonight, the hubs and I are spending a comfortable and stress-free evening at home. Maybe I'm a fuddy-duddy, but there is nothing more delightful than kicking back in sweats, reading a good book and enjoying a bottle of good wine on a Saturday night. Besides, I didn't want to miss the entertaining parade of trick-or-treaters canvasing our neighborhood.

In keeping with the comfortable laid-back mood this evening, I wanted to bake something that wouldn't take much effort. David Lebovitz's Black Bottom Cupcakes was the perfect remedy for lazy baking. Seriously, this recipe is unbelievably easy to make! Using only a couple of bowls and mixing spoons, you will be rewarded with these impressive looking cream cheese chocolate cakes. I love how each cupcake has its own unique personality:
In keeping with the holiday theme, I tweaked the recipe slightly to create a pumpkin cream cheese filling. You can find the original recipe here, and I made the following adjustments to the cream cheese filling:
- reduced the cream cheese to 6 oz
- added 3 oz canned pumpkin
- added 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- added 3 drops of orange food coloring
I encourage you to try baking these super easy treats yourself. I promise that these cakes are better than anything that you'll find in a trick-or-treaters bag.
Happy Halloween!

13 comments:

Monica H said...

ooh, these have been on my list to make for wuite some time. I like your addition of the pumpkin- perfect for Fall.

Happy Halloween!

Emily said...

Good idea! These look beautiful. I definitely want to make these.

Steph said...

What a great idea! They look so good with all that pumpkin cream cheese filling.

Mary Jo said...

so fun! i'll have to keep these in mind for next year. i like your kind of halloween night, we had a similar one with little miss in her first costume, little read riding hood, hanging out at home, and handing out candy.

The Food Librarian said...

These are such cute Halloween cupcakes! I like the mellow Halloween myself!

kellypea said...

Really great color on these festive morsels! Halloween skipped right past me this year. ;(

Jessica said...

I agree! Great color! Your cupcakes make me miss Halloween already!

Beth said...

These look so good! And festive! I'm wondering if I could pass them off at Thanksgiving...

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Nice adaptations!
~ingrid

betty geek said...

Happy belated Halloween! And I also love relaxing in sweats and enjoying cupcakes!

Love these! :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a perfect Saturday night to me! Love the look of these cupcakes - your adaptations are wonderful :)

Amanda said...

I'm just now seeing this and they look fabulous! Yum!

Anonymous said...

just made these in the babycakes mini cupcake maker...they are yummo! granted mine didn't look nearly as pretty as yours but they still taste yummy!
~Bethany

Blog Widget by LinkWithin